The Bahamas has a wealth of highly qualified human capital offering a wide range of IT solutions for the financial and professional sectors. Service providers are capable of competing in global markets and offer services including disaster recovery facilities, web and mobile app development, global private connectivity, and cloud computing, among others.
Bahamian ICT sector rapidly evolving
The ICT sector is the most rapidly evolving industry, facilitating the emergence of new and innovative services. As a part of the National Development Plan ‘Vision 2040’ initiative, the Government of The Bahamas embarked on the process to develop The Bahamas as a Smart country, with a view to fostering competitiveness and economic growth.
The Bahamas Telecommunications Corporation (BTC) recently completed an initiative to implement a state-of-the-art telecommunications infrastructure which boasts of fibre-optic submarine cables connecting the islands of The Bahamas to the United States. This cutting edge technology improved and increased the national capability for both voice and data communications and provides an enabling environment for business growth and development.
The Bahamas is poised to attract new and innovative commercial ventures as it moves to leverage its modern infrastructure, skilled personnel and prime geographical location to take advantage of opportunities in a wide range of sectors.
Key ICT Sector Facts
- Full liberalisation of the telecommunications sector in 2016
- Introduction of legislation to promote the use and adoption of ICTs including electronic communications sector (ECS), electronic transactions, computer misuse and data protection legislation
- ECS regulated by the Utilities Regulation and Competition Authority
- Online delivery of key government services including company registration, business licence, value added tax, and real property tax
- Initiatives underway to implement smart city solutions